Friday, January 06, 2006

Happy New Year!

No, I am normal.

Typical response in village when I ask, “how is it?”

Well, I am back in the big town after about a week in the village. Reese, Matt and I (other Agroforestry volunteers) had to give a presentation for the constituents of our NGO… mostly undereducated farmers. It went well, except that we were the first presentation. Our early start and finish meant that we had to sit through two other fairly painful presentations before we gave up for a beer and beans at midday.

I missed all holidays in village… New Years night I retreated to my house around 9:30pm after drinking some palm wine at my Cameroonian counterpart’s bar. A crazy JuJu man refused to leave me alone and got his crazy self roughly thrown from the establishment. It was a little too much excitement.. and since I get up at the crack of dawn (lie… I am up looong before the sun rises), 9:30 was way past my bedtime. No matter… the 1st is when people really party. Of course, I got stuck in Bafut with Gwen (my post-mate in Mundum) and Kate R. Gwen and I spent a good two hours looking for a car back to Akofunguba…. But as the sun began to set we thought it wasn’t so safe. Alas, we had to stay with Kate and her refrigerator, oven and hot water heater.

Work in village has had a big breakthrough. I discovered that there is another NGO down the road that has a lot of land, a nice truck and a 3000 tree nursery established. Its hiding in the bush a good km off the road. They want to work with me, provide me with demonstration space and other materials… all in all a great discovery that will really set work off on the right track.

Having a lovely time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home