Saturday, July 29, 2006

And sometimes the King just comes over for dinner...

The Fon of Bafut came over for dinner last night. When I agreed to have him over, I had imagined making hamburgers and French fries. When I proposed this to my favorite queen, Marie, she agreed that a nice American dish would be suitable… and should be accompanied with fried plantain, boiled yellow yam, tomato fish stew, fried chicken, French style bread, njama njama, fruit and at least two Amstels. I invited Reese to come and help me prepare and for support in making conversation with one of the bigger celebrities of Cameroon. He suggested fried okra would also be nice.



Well, the burgers fell apart on the grill and my pressure cooker spat water and steam from the side at 10 pounds of pressure, so things didn't go terribly smoothly… but after two bottles of wine, the table was set and I was feeling very calm. He arrived in a black cloak, pulled out the Harvard mug the US ambassador had given him and sat down in my rocking chair… he was nervous that it might tip right backward. I think they kill you if your chair makes the Fon fall. Topics included the beating of children in the school environment and my very poisonous, magic-laden chameleon (Kate and I caught a little chameleon walking back to Mambu… his name is Clunky's Best Machine Gun). At the table, he ate two hamburgers and we drank another bottle of wine… and I began to argue (with a king) about definitions of Western culture and (seem to always bring it up with important Cameroonians) the legality of homosexuality in the States, using arm flailing to express the absolute conviction (the wine) of my opinions. He enjoyed the Jell-o Lemon Pudding Pie (thanks to Reese's aunt) and fruit that topped off the evening. They got up and left fairly suddenly…. Its possible he didn't want to tinkle at my house. After reaching the palace, Marie told him she was going to bed but she snuck out and was on my front porch 10 minutes later. She came to pick up leftovers and finish off the fruit and gossip a bit about the night. She felt it went very well and was only surprised that he ate the pie… he usually feels sweets are for babies. I used every dish in the house and had to have another bottle of wine after the he went home, but it was certainly a memorable evening.



We didn't get a photo, but Reese said its cooler not to have one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home