Saturday, September 15, 2007

Small Small, No Be Sick

This car was coming from the farm, I suppose. It's full of corn!


This moth was almost as big as Kate's hand. It was really big. She touched it.


I did not touch it because it had these alien stingers. I'm sure they were stingers.




I'm sure that Africa is not the leader among natural medicines. I would guess that that would be china (since many Cameroonian medicine stores sell chinese teas and chinese-processed things). But the Africans are serious believers in most natural medicines (at at times very distrustful of Western medicines). This can be great, in the case of some properly manufactured concoctions (and decococtions), the likes of which we produced during my medicinal plant workshop this past June. But it can be obnoxious and possibly very damaging (as is the case of the "shiny shiny" powder sold on the busses going to Yaounde or other weird medicines sold off the top of people's heads). Furthermore, since a lot of things can be produced locally, its likely there are a lot of people getting duped. You'll see guys pulling up with their car and hawking curative venereal medication from the trunk, saying they can cure HIV and talking through a bullhorn (these are not my favorite people). I guess you just don't know who to trust, and nobody is prepared to say they can't cure something. I'm therefore not big on purchasing these sorts of remedies...

But then theres white cat. White cat, or "small small, no be sick" is a little tin of balm that you can use on/in just about anything. I had heard about the use of small small no be sick before, but had never bought it with any seriousness. Recently, i've been having some sinus problems (either that, or brain worms... i'm not sure). Bought some, placed it around my nose, and voila.... instant cool healing power of the white cat. Amazing! So, brain worms down, I'm now going to try in on cuts and scrapes, scars, dry eyes and ear aches. Really, its just cheap vicks vapor rub in a little tin... but they changed the name and sell it off the tops of their heads, and therefore it seems more like an obscure local medicine to me. I can take orders now if you want to try. I'll need to buy a bullhorn.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would advise you not to try it for dry eyes...

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And never put anything your ear....except your elbow! Jane

12:29 AM  
Blogger Friends of Summit Park said...

See Kels...what did you learn from this...Good Mom's = Good Advise.

This will not be the end of good advise...can you think of more Jane?

5:45 AM  
Blogger Friends of Summit Park said...

ADVICE...good gawd, I have a bad keyboard...

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also Moms should be plural and not possessive.

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home